Monday, December 16, 2013

Writing Under Stress

Recently, I’ve been put under quite a bit of stress.  And I’m having a hard time dealing with it.  It’s something that’s affecting all aspects of my life – sleeping, eating, working, and basically functioning.  I’m one of those people who don’t thrive under that kind of pressure.  Choosing a college, taking the SAT’s, Finals, clinicals, taking boards, finding a job… Those are all kinds of things that I can’t control.  And really, that’s what I struggle with.  If I can’t control the stress, then I don’t know how to deal with it.

I have found ways to de-stress myself.  Things that help me remove myself from the situation.  Things like sitting at the piano and banging on the keys until I’m too tired to think anymore.  Or baking.  Sometimes even cleaning. 

But there has always been one sure way of removing stress.  At least for me.  And that’s writing.  Escaping into a new world, where everything I’m struggling with doesn’t exist, helps me remove myself from myself.  If that makes any sense.  No matter what my trials are, I always know that theirs are worse.  And that’s because I make it so. 

It’s that little matter of saying, ‘I’m having a hard time at work?  Let’s see how you deal with an entire town burning your house down.’  I think the characters overcome more trials when I’m stressed just because I need to see it work out for someone.  I can put them through whatever it takes as long as they can work through it at some point.


What are some of the trials you’ve put your characters through?  Do you find writing stressful or a way to de-stress?

1 comment:

  1. "I think the characters overcome more trials when I’m stressed just because I need to see it work out for someone." - This is a great way to look at it, and one that I haven't really. My MC is a homeless teenage girl and her life stresses me out a lot, so much so that I cry reading all of the street kids' stories online and all of that, but I really want it to work out well for her. The flip side of that is that I get a little stressed out because that's a horrible life to have to lead and I don't know where the line is on what exactly to include in my YA novel versus what will make it a little too risqué.

    ReplyDelete