Friday, March 28, 2014

Moving Closer

Until recently, I never considered publishing.  I was writing for me, not for anyone else.  I became obsessive about editing and revising, and editing some more.  I even had betas going through my writing to try and improve it.

It wasn’t until my very pushy, yet very supportive husband asked me what I was doing.  I had no clear goals, all I was doing was writing.  But what was I writing for?  For me, right?

But when he asked that question, I started to realize that I wanted to share what I wrote.  For someone like me, so chronically shy that it’s hard to look into people’s eyes, admitting something like that was difficult.  My writing is one of the most personal things that I’ve created, and to share something like that is terrifying. 

Once I realized that I wanted to publish someday, I started making clear, definite goals.  I joined a critiquing website, began researching the publishing industry.  Then, this year, I felt like I was finally ready to take that plunge.  I participated in the #Pitmad in January.  I had one person request my query and first five pages.  After I sent it, she responded with a very nice, very kind rejection. 

So I kept working.  I researched queries.  I practiced and I revised.  Fortunately for me, I can get a bit obsessive about that kind of stuff. 

This week, I participated in a second #Pitmad.  This time, I got another editor to request pages and a query.  And the next day, I got a response.  In it, she told me three times that my query was well written, but because I’d already queried their agency, she wasn’t able to.

Yes, that’s a rejection, but it was a great rejection.  It made me realize that I’m getting closer.  I’m moving toward my goals.  Each step feels like an accomplishment.


How about the rest of you?  Moving toward your goals?  Making those small steps?

No comments:

Post a Comment