Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Forming Habits

Ever wondered what it takes to get really good at something? 

I know there’s a lot to be said for talent, but honestly, nothing can replace hard work and practice. 
I wish I could say that I’m really good at practicing, but the truth is, I get frustrated when things aren’t easy the first time.  Just last week, I attempted to make my first buttercream roses, and I had quite a few issues.  Of course, most of it was because I hadn’t learned what I needed to. 

For example: Who knew there was a difference between waxed paper and parchment paper?  I grew up believing they were exactly the same. 

Apparently not.  That could have saved me a lot of struggling that night.

In nursing, it’s the same.  I went to four years of school where information was crammed into my brain to the point that I didn’t think I’d be able to remember anything else.  It’s only after years of practice and using my nursing skills that I feel confident in what I’m doing.  After two or three times inserting catheters, or starting IV’s, I finally feel like a competent nurse.

Okay, maybe not this kind of practice.


So I guess it makes sense that I’m only now starting to feel like I know what I’m doing as a writer.  It’s taken years of practice.  But not just an every once in a while practice.  Daily and constant. 

There’s always something more to learn, something more to improve.  Each time I learn something new, and once I master a skill, it’s on to learning a new one.  It’s a matter of forming the habit. 


What habits are you forming?