Wednesday, March 16, 2016

My Favorite Things

At the beginning of the year, I went to an activity for the women in my church. It was a getting to know you activity, because we’d had so many people move in and out. That’s what happens when everyone’s a student. As the night wore on, I realized I didn’t quite fit into the mold. We each brought something small to represent our favorite thing. We put it in a brown paper bag and then we drew names out of a bowl. Each person took a turn answering simple questions.

1.       What are you studying? What are your life goals?

2.       What is your favorite animal?

3.       Who is your celebrity crush?

4.       What is your favorite movie?

I was one of the last to go. I listened to each of their answers and realized there seemed to be a theme. Life goals involved school, or family. Favorite animal: either cat/dog or something exotic like a panda or koala. Celebrity crushes ranged from Ryan Gosling to Damon from Vampire Diaries. Honestly, I’d only heard of half of them. Favorite movie consisted of a lot of Rom Coms. Don’t get me wrong, if I’m in the mood, Rom Coms are great, but most of the time, the plotline makes me roll my eyes. And probably seventy percent of them had chocolate in their bag. If not, it was some kind of food, or something cutsey.

When it got to my turn, I was a little nervous.

Swallowing, I started.

“I already finished school awhile ago. I’m a nurse. My life goal right now is for my husband to be done with school.”

Short term goal, I know, but it is VERY important to me. I don’t want to be stuck in perpetual studenthood forever.

“I don’t like animals. I prefer rocks.”

I got a lot of laughs out of that, but it’s not a joke. I honestly prefer rocks over animals. I had a rock collection growing up that had hundreds of rocks, card cataloged and separated into eight different drawers.

“My celebrity crush is Lionel Messi.”

I blame hubby on that one. He’s exposed me to a lot more soccer over the past few years, and since he’s a huge Real Madrid fan, it only seemed natural I should choose Barcelona. Only two girls knew who he was.

“My favorite movie right now is the Avengers series.”

I love the storytelling. There are plot holes, like there are in any movie, but seriously, Joss Whedon has an incredible grasp on human nature. He knows what he’s doing.

In my bag, I had a pack of pens.

“My favorite thing is writing. I’ve written 7 novels so far, and I’m the co-leader for the National Novel Writing Month group here, and my friend and I founded another writing group from that, and we meet twice a month.”


Yeah, I’m different. But honestly, after introducing myself and stating my favorite things, I realized that I wouldn’t change because I’m different. I like who I am, and I like those things because I find them interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment