Wednesday, March 12, 2014

The Misconception of the Muse

Last week, I finished my revision of my Blue WIP.  It took a while for me to get into the groove, I’d just finished writing a brand new novel, and it was hard to get excited to completely redo something I’d already done.  But that’s the life of a writer, no?

Anyway, I figured that once I started, then it would get easier.  I would work one day then take a few days off, then work another day.  I think what I was really waiting for was for the muse to strike.  I wanted her to take me by the ears, pull me into the chair and just overwhelm my brain with genius.  (A person can dream, can’t they?)

The thing is, that’s not how the muse works.  I know that.  I’ve dealt with her enough times that I know the best way to call on her. 

Start without her.

Writing isn’t always easy.  I wish it was.  There are days when I can barely form complete sentences, let alone anything worth reading.  But for some reason, the action of writing, proving that you’re serious about what you want is what she really wants to see.  It may take days before it finally strikes. 

For me, because I took so long to actually sit down and focus, it took me 2 months to rewrite this novel.  Not that 2 months is a long time, but considering how well I did in November, it felt like an eternity.  But once I reached the second half, once I forced myself into the chair, once I got words on the page, she finally came.  I finished the second half in about 2 weeks and the last 10,000 words were completed in 2 days.  I couldn’t sleep or eat until it was DONE!  

I was so excited about it that I sent it to my alpha almost as soon as I finished.  I knew it was good, or at least much better than the first draft.  I could feel the difference, and I know that it was a combination of hard work, dedication and small part muse.


So what do you think?  Does the muse even exist, or is that just a creative way of prolonging work?

3 comments:

  1. The muse definitely exists, but I agree with that you can't wait for her. She's a busy bee with her own crazy schedule. Sometimes, when I don't "feel" like working on something I want to work on (there is a difference) I work on other parts of the project. For example, I'm half way through 2nd round of editing for my current WIP and I had a bump. I really didn't feel like editing. So I started working on the facebook page, on the book blurb, and I setup a secret board on Pinterest. I know it's not writing, but its part of the work, and all this external work made me feel like I'm closer to the finish line. Sparks flew, and I got back to editing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are some great ways to get the sparks flying! I know what you mean when you say you don't "feel" like working on something you want work on. It's one of the most conflicting feelings.

      Delete
  2. There are definitely those moments when the muse strikes, but, there's nothing stopping you from sitting your butt down in the chair and working. Typically, if I'm not feeling it, I go back and start reading the story from the beginning again. Fix any typo's I find, re-word niggling sentences that I'm not sure about and after some _focus_ I feel it flowing. Not always: there are 'off' days too, which is fine.
    For me, I get into a routine: wake up, put on ELO, drink tea, eat something nourishing, and then sit down to work. My brain understands that it's time to work now. Or I get on Google+ and lose myself for an hour /sigh/.
    Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete