Friday, October 18, 2013

I Write


I had an interesting conversation this week with one of my coworkers.  We were talking about what we do in our spare time.  He mentioned that he doesn’t like to do very much, so he likes to waste his time (his words, not mine) watching series on Netflix.  According to him, it’s like being able to watch a 50 hour movie. 

Usually in this kind of conversation, I kind of mumble a response, something about laundry and stuff like that.  But this time, I decided to get brave and tell him that I use my spare time writing.  I just said, “I don’t like to waste my time with that kind of stuff because I like to use my time writing.”

But it was his response that surprised me.  I really don’t tell people because I’m afraid of what they say.  How do most people respond when I tell them?  Just a ‘That’s cool,’ and a quick change of subject.  But instead, my coworker responded by telling me that he was impressed.  He told me that he’d thought of writing, but he’s never actually done it. 

He told me that I was in the 1%.  The kind of person who actually goes after my dreams instead of sitting around thinking about it. 

I’ve never had such a positive response before and it made me really think.  Why am I so afraid to say those two words? 

I write.  I write.

It’s a very important part of my life, something that takes up all of my free time, and even some of my laundry time.  And my dishes time.  But for some reason, it’s scary to say out loud. 

Which is why I’m so grateful to my coworker for his response.  He made me realize that writing isn’t something to be embarrassed about.  It’s not something that I have to hide from those I associate with.  It’s a part of me.  Just like coloring and playing the piano.


What do you like to do in your free time?  I write.

13 comments:

  1. I admire that you've reached a pla e where your writing takes up free. I'm still in the beginning stages where I set aside time to write haikus or work on a novel or screenplay, so far mission accomplished. I don't want to burn myself out put it away and try to come back a month or two later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, honestly, I can't remember a time when writing didn't take up my free time. It's good to keep a good steady rhythm. Too much can definitely burn you out while too little can make you forget why you do it in the first place.

      Delete
  2. I know what you mean, for a long time I didn't even tell my family that I liked writing and I still hesitate before sharing my blog posts on facebook where people I actually know might see them. A part of me wants to show everyone what I write but another part wants to curl up in a corner whenever I do share something with someone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have that reaction, though I'm trying to be more open about it. I figure, it's going to come out sometime, right?

      Delete
  3. I think I've gotten a little bitter at telling people. Its helped that I've actually finished something, and I think its awesome. Most of my family is on Facebook... and I've started posting things about books and writing. so.... eventually I will start screaming it from rooftops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can honestly say that I've just barely started telling people of my own free will. And yes, it does help when you have something finished that is awesome!

      Delete
  4. I know exactly how you feel. Sometimes it just feels a little awkward to tell people that you write, because it's not the same as playing a sport or an instrument. It's just a different kind of hobby. I've gotten to the point now where people understand that that is what I love to do, and it makes me happy to know that I can write whatever I want and whenever I want. Good for you!

    www.alicekouzmenkowriting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! It's always amazing when those around you support you in the things you love.

      Delete
  5. Guess this puts me in the minority over here, but I've never had any trouble telling people I write. I told people when it was just for fun. I told them when I was serious about it, even when I was still waiting on having any good publication news to share. I tell them now that I've finally got books they can buy. Really, I can't think of many other things to say about myself. Writing, playing with words, searching out stories, sharing my brain with a hundred imaginary people... that's a major portion of my identity. If anything, I would only fear to tell someone about my writing because it's the only thing they've ever heard me talk about, and I don't want to bore them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have more courage than I do! But that really is great that it's such an important part of you that it's impossible not to bring up.

      Delete
  6. I don't mind telling anyone that i can write. i like to write. You should be proud of the fact not . It's awfully rare. Well not that rare but certainly uncommon.Some people do change the subject but if they do so only because they don't know what to say. Their loss not yours. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I write too!
    The reason why I used to hesitate my response, was because it led to. "What are you writing?", and then at later dates, "Have you finished yet?"

    I've got answers to these now, so now I'm happy to say I write. It took time to get here though.

    thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's awesome once you get answers, isn't it? Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete