Monday, October 7, 2013

Fantasy Cliches

Recently, I’ve been reading a lot of posts and comments made where people have said that fantasy has become old and clichéd.  It’s always the same – the dragons, the elves, the epic battles and magic, or maybe vampire sand werewolves.  They’ve lamented that there’s never anything new in fantasy.

I disagree.  I honestly can’t remember the last fantasy I’ve read with dragons.  Probably Eragon, several years ago, when I was stranded in Newark Airport for a day and a half.  We all know the popular or well-known mainstream fantasies.  And the complaints reminded me of something I’d found years ago – Something called the Fantasy Novelist’s Exam.  Check it out.  If you want a chuckle, this is what you’re been looking for.  http://www.rinkworks.com/fnovel/

Though it is funny to read the entire list of clichés in fantasy writing, there’s still some truth in it.  How many of us have come to expect something from this list, just because it’s fantasy?

The trick is to avoid the cliché.

Does every story have to have magical creatures, epic battles or wizards?  No.

I posed this question in a fantasy writer’s community, and I was surprised by the quick and insightful thoughts.  I was told that if someone is only finding these kinds of stories, they’re looking in the wrong place.  Fantasy is anything that has an element that doesn’t exist in our reality.  I write fantasy, and I have the tendency to minimalize the fantastical parts so that they almost seem a part of everyday life. 

Every reader will find their own unique niche.  There are so many options available and all we need to look.

What clichés are you tired of?  Not just in fantasy, but in books in general? 

4 comments:

  1. Fantasy clichés are tough to break and the majority of authors never do. Harry Potter is riddled with clichés. Boy orphan - the chosen one/prophet - dark lord - unkind guardians - the list goes on and on and yet it is the most popular set of novels ever written. I guess the trick is to allow those clichés into the work but ensure they are there for a reason beyond that of a lack of imagination.

    I think omnipotent bad guys are the clichés I tire of the most. I just find them boring. The best bad guys are the ones who think they're the good guy or are losing control, they're the most frightening.

    Really enjoyed the post :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree. I love the antagonists who had that opportunity to be the protagonist but lost the chance. And when they have just as much to lose as the protagonist, it's hard to know who to root for.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing that list; it certainly was insightful, as well as entertaining. I think all the well known fantasies stories fall under many of those cliches. It's funny how fine the line is between cliche and classic.
    Right now, the cliche I'm most tired of is anything in the 'vampire' movement. I'm ready for that one to be over. Beyond that, I feel it's rare to find an original female character. It seems often that the female lead is either a damsel in distress, or an ultra feminist. It's difficult to find a 'Lady' who still contributes to the plot.
    Thanks for the post! It's given me a lot to think about =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually talked about the need for 'real' women who aren't either super warriors or needy women. I think we need more Molly Weasleys in literature myself. Here's the link if you want to take a read. http://kristaquintana.blogspot.com/2013/08/women-in-literature.html

      Delete