Friday, October 4, 2013

The End

I feel like I’m facing several endings right now.  Of course, obviously, there’s the end of the year, which is hurtling toward us.  And I’ve made several goals which I wanted to complete by the new year, which means that I’ve got to get moving! 

One of my goals was finishing the revision to my Red WIP before November.  That way the month of November can be completely dedicated to NaNoWriMo (my first year to participate!). 

I think I’ll finish.  I’ve already revised seventeen chapters, and I have three more, plus a short epilogue.  And those chapters are pretty well written, if I do say so myself. 

Yesterday, I revised the climax of the story.  Unfortunately, it was a bit of a muddled mess, but I’m pleased with the way that it turned out.  I love stretching what my characters can endure and pile even more on when they think it’s getting easier.   Or maybe I just enjoy watching them overcome their trials.  I love knowing where they started and where they’re headed.

It did take me a few days to begin working on it, mostly because when I finish the climax, it means that I’m getting close to the end.  And yes, in a way that’s good.  I’ll have completed my goal.  I’ll have time to do a final read-through for typos before sending it out to the final round of betas. 

So what makes the ending so hard? 

It feels like I’m saying goodbye.  We’ve been on this long journey together (one we’ve had several times before), and each time, these characters become even more real.  I love spending my days thinking about their lives, what they need to do and what they need to experience to grow.  It’s a constant companionship that’s about to end. 

Of course, it won’t end exactly.  My NaNoWriMo novel is a companion novel, so they’ll be in there.  But it won’t be the same.  They’ll be secondary characters, making rare, cameo appearances while I get to know someone new.

I know that many writers celebrate the moment when they can write “The End,” but I always have mixed feelings.  There’s always that sense of accomplishment, but also a sense of loss.

I feel the same way when I finish reading a book that I love.  Once that final page turns, there’s no more.  They go on with their lives while I go on with mine.  Maybe I just have separation issues.


How about you?  How do you say goodbye to characters?

4 comments:

  1. This will be my first year to participate in NaNo too. I have 105 "Patriot's Pen" essays to grade before I can free up the month of November to concentrate on NaNo.

    I also have a tough time writing endings, mostly because I'm a perfectionist; I don't want the ending to be so-so; I want it to be FANTASTIC. And that's not easy to accomplish.

    So before I write an ending to my novel, I usually take a week or two off from writing, so I can process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with NaNo! I find that with endings, I don't want them to come, so I tend to ramble until I have to admit the story has already finished.

      Delete
  2. I got so sad when I finished my book. I feel as if I was ready to finish, but as I was writing the last few sentences, I felt like my heart was breaking. I cried, a lot.

    www.alicekouzmenkowriting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leaving a book (or series of books) I love can be a bittersweet thing. Having the characters hang around my head even past The End lessens the sting somewhat, but there's still that sense of "goodbye". It's been like a year since I completed the draft of a story close to my heart, and even though I know we've still got a while to go together yet before it's published and I'm done fiddling with it forever, the finality of the ending makes me ache a little every time I think of it. I don't want it to be over!

    ReplyDelete