Monday, April 14, 2014

Listen To Your Writing

One of the things that I love about online communities is that there’s the idea of sharing ideas.  I learn so much from so many people, and they’ve all helped me improve my writing.  I love hearing how other people write, and I get many ideas from them.

Why am I telling you this?

Because I just learned of a feature in Microsoft Word that I’d never heard about!  It’s not one of the normal options, so I don’t know that I ever would have found it otherwise.  In one of the writing groups I’m in, someone suggested using the ‘speak’ option to ‘listen’ to your writing.  Just highlight a certain section, push play and voila! 

It’s not perfect by any means, but I was amazed by how different it was to hear my writing.  I could hear words that were extraneous.  Words that never attracted my attention before suddenly felt out of place in the entire sentence.  Pieces of polished work suddenly weren’t quite as polished as I thought.

I already love using it.  I’ve been going through several different passages to determine what needs to be fixed. 


Have any of you tried software like this before?  

No comments:

Post a Comment