Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Book Review: Rosehead by Ksenia Anske

I don’t normally do this. I love reading books, but I’ve never actually written a true review. But this book blew my mind.

I met Ksenia online through Google +. When she first published Rosehead, I put it on my to-read list. I knew that she was a very dedicated and enthusiastic writer, and I was excited for her and her achievement. But as it always happens, things started to get busy. It took me way too long to get to it, but last week, I finally did.

Since I’ve put so many books on my to-read shelf, I usually forget what they’re about. When I started Rosehead, I had no idea what to expect. And of everything I thought this book could be, it wasn’t.




Let’s start with the main characters. Ksenia created a thirteen year old girl with a large vocabulary. She’s struggling to fit in, and in more ways than most kids. I won’t spoil the story, but let’s say, I had a hard time deciding whether or not her world was upside down, or if she was just a kid imagining it all. Part of it had to do with her talking dog, and the crazy rose garden.

I think what really amazed me about this book was that I never knew what to expect. Whatever I thought would be the logical next step, Ksenia threw it onto its head and did the opposite. Or not even the opposite. It’s like choosing between right and left and deciding on up. That’s how the story went.

And it was a fantastic ride. I’ve told everyone I’ve seen in the past three days about the book. My neighbors are sick of me talking about it.


It’s well worth the read.

No comments:

Post a Comment