Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Books I’ve Read This Year

Last year, I made a goal to read 52 books in a year. It only made sense, to write is to read. How else am I supposed to learn if I don’t watch other people do it? Plus, I love supporting other writers. Unfortunately, I didn’t quite make it to 52. I was close though. About 46.

So this year, I made a more realistic goal. 45. It seemed like a good number. So far, I’ve read 15, so I’m doing pretty well on my goal.

In January, and the beginning of February, I felt like I couldn’t find the right books. Everything I read didn’t quite resonate with me, which was unfortunate. I love reading, but there’s a few moments when no matter what I read, I can’t find what I’ve been looking for.

But recently, I have had some good luck.

Here’s my recommendations from the past few weeks.


Winner’s Kiss by Marie Rutkoski

I’m not entirely sure how I found this series, but from book 1, I’ve been hooked. Waiting for this final book was a special kind of torture, mostly because I just needed to know what happened to Kestrel and Arin. There was a definite twist in the beginning, but she did it so well that I couldn’t stop reading. I’m not a fan of characters lying to one another for the sake of protecting each other, but lying is the entire story, and it works. I’d highly recommend the entire series.


Passenger by Alexandra Bracken

I fell in love with Alexandra Bracken when I read her Darkest Minds series. I didn’t think that I’d love any of her other books quite as much, but I was wrong. This one was nothing like her previous series, except it drew me in just as much. It’s a story about time travelers, and she addressed issues of gender and race in a way that I didn’t think possible.


Ian Quicksilver by Alyson Peterson

I met Alyson at LTUE, and her personality was so vibrant that I decided to read her book. Let me say, her personality bleeds onto the pages, and I don’t think I’ve laughed so hard at a book for a long time. I loved it so much I had to buy a hard copy so I could share it. You want a superhero story? This is the one for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment