Friday, October 25, 2013

Starting Out on the Journey

Turns ahead!


This is how I feel about my brain right now.  It's got so much stuff going on that it's taking rapid turns, weaving in and out.

I'm in NaNoWriMo prep mode which means that right now my brain is filled with character, setting, and plot development.  They move in and out, each taking a turn, screaming out to be focused on.  No matter where I am, I get inspiration.  

I've got my plot mostly finished, and I have to say, I'm incredibly excited for it.  I am an intense plotter, and the more I have prepared, the better I'm able to write when the actual moment comes.  

Knowing where the characters are going helps me when they start out on their journey.  I've gotten to know my MC fairly well, and his story is going to be a bit painful for me to write.  Especially in the beginning.  But that's what makes it worthwhile, right?  If a story wasn't difficult, if it didn't hold the challenges and emotions that interest and hold the writer, then how would it be able to hold the reader?

So while I have these characters living in my head, I'm obligated to get their story out.  Because that's our agreement.  They'll tell me their stories, and I'll share them with others.  

How do you feel when you start out?  Do characters scream in your head?  Do you get excited?  Nervous?

2 comments:

  1. While I don't believe I've ever had to deal with screamers (some who get pretty intensely bossy, sure, but not a lot of screaming), the main characters I've got for my NaNo projects are a fairly placid pair. They probably don't care very much whether I write their story one way or another, content to live it with or without me.

    I'm a little more nervous than usual, since the idea for this novel came so late in the planning month, and I haven't got as much plotting done as I have in years past. But I think things will probably go smoothly enough once I get started, since I'm not dealing with stubborn or secretive characters. I guess time will tell!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in NaNo prep . . . kinda. I 'prepped' for a day, and that was pretty much enough for me. I know some people are starting to go into a panic over it, but I'm not sure why. NaNo will be fine. It's doable. It's going to be great.

    I admire you as a plotter. I cannot plot unless I'm stuck. It has to come down to the wire. I plan things out in my head a bit, but my loose structure and no-idea-where-this-is-going style would probably unravel you :)

    ReplyDelete