Monday, July 22, 2013

Taking Writing Seriously

I’m one of those goal oriented people.  I decide I want to do something, and I research.  I try to find a way to do it.  Of course, I get quite a bit of encouragement from my ‘pushy’ hubby who always encourages me when my fears and self-doubt get in the way.

When I was 7 or 8, I decided I wanted to be one of three things: A Geriatric Nurse, A Geologist or A Genealogist.  Now, nearly two decades later, I've become a Geriatric Nurse, and I work on Genealogy as a side hobby.  Though I’m no geologist, I still go to rock shows and get excited when I find a mineral I haven’t seen before.

So why did it take me so long to really pursue writing?  I think the biggest reason was because I was afraid.  I enjoyed writing for me, but it’s almost like putting a part of yourself out for everyone to see.  It’s a much more intimate process. 


How about the rest of you?  What keeps you from taking your writing seriously?  What keeps you from focusing on that end goal?

1 comment: