Friday, July 26, 2013

What am I working on now?

Right now, I am in the process of getting my Red WIP critiqued and edited by some great betas that I’ve found over on scribophile.com.  If you haven’t used that website before, I highly recommend it.

While I let that one sit and simmer, I’ve been working on the first draft of my Blue WIP.  I’ve found that each WIP is different, challenging me as a writer.  This WIP is based on a challenge that I’ve created for myself. 

I’m a plotter, not a pantser.  I have to know what’s going on and how my characters are going to behave before I write a single word.  But I was starting to wonder if that was restricting me.  So this WIP, I decided to start writing and see where it took me.  I began about a year ago, back before things got a little crazy.  I felt that of all my WIP’s, I’d be able to do that with this one.  It’s a sequel, based off of the Red WIP currently being critiqued.  I already knew my characters, as well as their motivations, so it was much easier for me to run with it.  (So to speak!)

I pulled this draft out (about 20,000 words) and reread it, taking notes on post-its as I went.   Then I organized my notes into sections.  Here’s what I ended up with.



What amazed me more than the fact that I could write 20,000 words without an outline, was how well that random details weaved in together.  Though I still have a basic idea, I still haven’t written an outline. 
What is my Blue WIP about?

Cassie's seen injustice all her life, and she's ready to make a stand.  When King Brednon creates the school for future leaders, she enrolls, intent on becoming one of the king's councilors.  But becoming a councilor isn't all she thought it would be.  The other councilors treat her with distrust and prejudice, just because she's a woman. 

When a neighboring kingdom attacks at the borders, Cassie sees this as her chance to prove herself.  She convinces King Brednon to let her go to Mocra and speak with their king.  When she arrives, she learns that there's more happening than a border conflict.

There are days that I don’t know what’s going to happen, but I’m finding that very exciting!


How do all of you write?  Are you pantsers or plotters?  What are you working on?

4 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog. It makes me want to start writing again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Krista, I love this idea! I'm glad you linked back to this. I did this before with post it's on a wall in our office. It drove my husband crazy but I loved it! Can't wait to read more. This looks like a great blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've always been partial to sticky notes. They're just so easy to organize and rearrange. I'm loving your blog as well!

      Delete