Friday, January 31, 2014

I Think I Just Read That…

This month, I’ve been playing around with my new e-reader, and though I still miss the feeling of turning pages and closing the book when I finish. 

Despite that, I am adjusting, and I’m loving the fact that there are so many books at my fingertips!  Just this month, I’ve read three novels, one anthology and novellas.  And it’s even better because I can finally support all of my writing buddies who are publishing as well.

What’s interesting is that as I’m reading (especially as quickly as I’m reading), I’m starting to notice a trend.  Common themes between stories that makes me compare them. 

A few months ago, my sister lent me a book, one she thought I would really enjoy.  I sat down, started reading and my first thought was: 

Uh oh.  I’ve already read this book. 

I hadn’t actually read it, but I’d read one remarkably similar.  Two siblings with unknown powers that made them gods, they’re separated from their family, guided by mentors who know the magic that they possess.  It probably sounds familiar to you too, though I’m probably not talking about the book that you’re thinking of. 
What surprised and delighted me about the novel that my sister gave me was that it was easier to jump into the world and enjoy the ride with the main characters.  In the book I’d read before, I’d actually stopped reading halfway through because I couldn’t stand the main characters.  (Something that very rarely happens to me as a reader.  I think there are only 5-6 books that I’ve ever not finished.) 

Both books started out with the same idea, the same blurb could be used for them.  But they went in two completely separate directions.  In writing, just like anything else when creating occurs, there is the chance of writing a story remarkably similar to someone else.  Even if they’re across the world.  Does that mean that we should give up?  Stop writing because someone else might be writing it?

No.  But it does give us the challenge to make our story ours.  What is it about your story (or my story) that stands out?  What’s the theme, who are the characters?  Two of the novels I read this month include children who are separated by special abilities by color.  Almost identical in that idea and aspect.  It’s a way of categorizing, of separating them.  And it’s something I’ve used in novels of my own.  Yet when comparing the two stories, they are remarkably different.  Enough so that I was able to enjoy both without worrying about whether I’ve “already read it.”


Create something that’s yours.  Find what makes your work unique.  Because chances are, that’s what your reader is going to remember.

7 comments:

  1. Wow, I just noticed how many posts your lil blog has already, way to go! I can rarely post blogs on a timeline and it feels very much like talking to myself lol.

    I liked this post, and have had similar thoughts about both the series I'm working on and other books that I have read in YA, but it's true that everyone has their own unique spin on things. I was worried about someone "stealing my idea" at first and didn't want to ask for help with my manuscript but honestly, my plots are so convoluted in my head that even if someone TRIED to copy it, the odds are astronomically small that we would end up with the same story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So comforting to see someone voice my thoughts and fears. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great point! I write with a really unusual voice, but I'm always so scared I might accidentally re-write someone else's story. Glad I'm not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that all stories and all ideas exist in some enormous spring 'out there' - nothing is new - and we lock into these ideas via our subconscious. Unless we consciously go about trying to copy someone else's work, I really don't think we will do it by accident. All writers are using something from that spring, but they each express the idea or ideas in their own unique way. As long as we are honest with ourselves and with our readers, then there is nothing to worry about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, I realize this is an old post, but I was just bopping through your blog and came across it and wanted to say thanks. I've been despairing about this very topic, as I've read a few books lately with similar elements to my WIP (of course, I didn't read them until after I'd already started writing--blast!), and then tonight, one in which a character's name was the same as my MC--which I thought was so original :). So here I was wondering if I was going to have to throw the whole thing out and start over. And then I came to your post and literally sighed in relief. I think you're right...no two authors are going to handle similar elements in the same way. So thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! And no, I wouldn't scrap the entire thing just because it's similar to another story. If we did that, then there wouldn't be anything new written. Just make sure that it's unique enough that it can stand on its own. :)

      Delete