Friday, February 21, 2014

Gaining Momentum

I’m about 35,000 words into my new version of the Blue WIP, and I’ve reached the point that I’m wanting to write all the time.  I usually find that between words 0-10,000, I’m rushing to write, the ideas are fresh, and the story is just starting with so much potential.  But by about word 10,000, I lose a bit of momentum.  And this time, I had enough stuff going on in my own, personal life that writing wasn’t really a priority.

Yet, there’s always that desire to keep going.  To finish the story.  The characters become insistent, begging me to tell their story, to give them their happy ending.  And they deserve that.  We started out this journey together, and they can’t finish it on their own. 

So I continue.  I push through, and then once I reach about 30,000 words, I gain momentum again.  The story’s at its peak, the climax, and things are starting to get good.  There’s so much going on that it’s hard to pull away.  Just like reading a book, writing the book is the same.  The climax makes it hard to put it down and leave it be.  I find myself waking up early to spend more time writing, and using spare moments of time to get a few more words in. 

Whenever my husband or I get home, I can’t wait to tell him what happened.  Not during my day, but during my characters’ day.  They’re such a large part of my life that I feel like they’re real. 

And with the changes that I’ve made, I’m loving the story more and more.  There’s enough that I want to see how the changes effect the story.  I want to see if the changes pull through to the end.  I’ve got a good feeling about this, and it makes me happy despite the crazy things that are going on in my own life. 


So here’s to the next 10,000 words!  

2 comments:

  1. Can you lend me some of that momentum? Mines puttering a long right now and could use some help. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I could! I'll admit though, there have been some rough patches in this rewrite, and it took me awhile to get the momentum needed.

      Delete