Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Blog Hop!


I want to thank Gina Drayer for inviting me to join in the writing process blog hop.  We met through an online critiquing site and joined a Social Media help group when we both started blogs.  She’s got some exciting stuff going on, including the debut of her novel Lotus Petals on July 4th.  Be sure to check it out!

Here’s a link to her website: http://ginadrayer.com/


1)      What am I working on?

Right now, I’ve just finished a draft of my Blue WIP, tentatively titled The King’s Councilor.  I’ve been having critiquers tear it apart, which has been fantastic help.  I’m moving on to revising my yellow WIP, which still doesn’t have a name.  This one is a favorite of mine, probably just because this is the first one I’ve written from the point of view of a teenage boy, and he makes my heart break. 

Here’s the quick logline:

Rowell never quite fit in his family, and it's all his mother's fault.  If she'd just stuck with her own people, then maybe he would have the same abilities as the rest.  When Rowell accidentally spills his close friend's secret, he realizes he can't go on blaming everyone else. 

 It's his turn to make things right.



2)  How does my work differ from others of its genre?

My work focuses a lot on family relationships.  Yes, there are orphans, but the family unit is a very strong, and focused force.  None of my characters would be who they are without their family.  More than romantic relationships, family always comes first.

Another thing that makes it unique is that despite being fantasy, there is not very much fantasy.  At least, not in the first 1 ½ novels.  It’s like a whisper that finally comes into play in the third book.  It’s been fun exploring the world and the distant idea of magic.


3)      Why do I write what I do?

This is like asking why I am who I am.  These stories are a part of me, they come from my brain, from my imagination.  The first book came to me in an afternoon, and within a day or so, I had a whole, fleshed out story.  It had nothing to do with the idea of becoming famous, or reaching an audience.  It was very much about getting the story out.  These characters are stuck in my head and they want to get out.  Sometimes they surprise me by the direction they take, but they always know where they’re going.


4)      How does my writing process work?

Ahhh.  This is question that every writer gets asked.  My writing process usually involves getting an idea, a character who taps on my brain and asks for entrance.  Then over the next few days, I let them bounce around as their story unfolds.  I plan every last detail before even getting the words down, but once I start writing, it can go pretty fast.

I also do a lot of revision before I get to the final draft.  I love having it read by multiple betas, people who are willing to let me know what works and what doesn’t.  I don’t know what I would do without them.

And that’s the short version of my creative process! 


And for those who I’ve tagged, I hope you pop over to their blogs and check them out!


R.S McCoy is an author that I me through the social media, and she’s got some amazing writing skills.  Her novel, Sparks, is already out, and a fantastic read.  Here’s a link to the review I wrote a few months ago. Her second Novel, Spirits, should be coming out soon! 
Here’s a link to her blog: http://rsmccoy.blogspot.com/


Amy Ross is a writer who is working toward publishing a children’s picture book.  She’s already got some cute illustrations lined up, and it looks like it’s going to be great! 

Here’s a link to her blog: http://alphabetsoupandcrackers.blogspot.com/


Taylor Lavati is a writer who's already published the first of her series: The Curse Books.  Her blog is great help for us writers, and she provides writing prompts weekly to help get our juices going.  
Here's a link to her blog: http://thecursebooks.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment