Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Forming Habits

Ever wondered what it takes to get really good at something? 

I know there’s a lot to be said for talent, but honestly, nothing can replace hard work and practice. 
I wish I could say that I’m really good at practicing, but the truth is, I get frustrated when things aren’t easy the first time.  Just last week, I attempted to make my first buttercream roses, and I had quite a few issues.  Of course, most of it was because I hadn’t learned what I needed to. 

For example: Who knew there was a difference between waxed paper and parchment paper?  I grew up believing they were exactly the same. 

Apparently not.  That could have saved me a lot of struggling that night.

In nursing, it’s the same.  I went to four years of school where information was crammed into my brain to the point that I didn’t think I’d be able to remember anything else.  It’s only after years of practice and using my nursing skills that I feel confident in what I’m doing.  After two or three times inserting catheters, or starting IV’s, I finally feel like a competent nurse.

Okay, maybe not this kind of practice.


So I guess it makes sense that I’m only now starting to feel like I know what I’m doing as a writer.  It’s taken years of practice.  But not just an every once in a while practice.  Daily and constant. 

There’s always something more to learn, something more to improve.  Each time I learn something new, and once I master a skill, it’s on to learning a new one.  It’s a matter of forming the habit. 


What habits are you forming?

4 comments:

  1. I think the main thing to forming a habit is to keep at it, no matter how tiresome it is. Someday, you'll eventually find yourself doing whatever it is without even realizing it, just because you are used to it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. The moment that you stop doing it, you lose the habit. I've learned that more times than I can count.

      Delete
  2. I totally agree! I teach first graders and I tell them all the time, no one really gets things right the very first time they try some new hard thing. It takes the pressure off of them and in doing things again and again they become accomplished readers, writers, thinkers. The same is true for all of us.
    www.Writingfourlives.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love the idea that it takes the pressure off. I hadn't thought of that.

      Delete