Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Query Party Update

The second week of our Query party is about to come to a close.  We’re already halfway through, which is absolutely amazing!  Thank you to everyone participating! (For those of you who didn't see the original post, the link is here)

I think the part that I’m really loving is the community that it’s creating.  I’m getting feedback from the different participants, and everything has been very positive.  There’s been questions about how queries work, questions about comments they’d received, and I’ve also had some share insights with others that have been fantastic!

The hard part about queries is trying to get an entire story into just one idea, make sure that it’s coherent and then try and sell it.  It’s not going to be written in one go.

I was talking to one of the participants about dealing with feedback.  Unfortunately, especially with queries, a lot of the feedback is going to be: I want to understand this, can you explain more?  And with the length constraints, it’s not going to be possible.  However, I’ve noticed that this kind of feedback is vital because it lets the writer know where they aren’t clear and need to explain.  Or, if they want to know more, that’s probably a good thing!  It means that their interest has been peaked.


So thank you to all that are participating, and for all of you interested, there’s still two weeks left!  Let me know if you want to jump in the last few rounds!

No comments:

Post a Comment