Friday, November 15, 2013

Building to the Climax

Today is the 15th of November, which means that we’re exactly halfway through the month, and we should be halfway through our novels.  That’s the plan anyway.

I started out the month pretty slow.  My first two days, I did great.  But then I got pretty sick, and I had to work on top of it, then at work I was working three people’s jobs instead of one.  So yeah, I didn’t get much written for about 5 days. 

I’ve been furiously trying to catch up this week though.  I had to get blood drawn on Wednesday, and while I sat in the waiting room, I wrote.  While I waited for the doctor to see me, I wrote.  My husband has to go into work early and we carpool so I bring a notebook with me and I write.  Lunch breaks are dedicated to writing.  And I think I’m finally caught up again. 

But now that I’m halfway through, I’m to the exciting part.  Over is the beginning, the building and the setting everything in place for the blam.  I’m there now, and I get so excited that I want to write, I just can’t help it.  I was talking to a friend on Tuesday, and I explained to her that writing is great.  It’s just like giving myself really hard homework every single day and I have to do it and sacrifice other things that I wish I could be doing. 

But then there’s that joy when the millions of pieces that I spread out over the rising action begin to come together to form the puzzle.  The picture is getting clearer and though the end isn’t in sight, it’s got me hooked.  And when the writer's hooked, the story gets written, right?

So that’s where I am right now, my bare bones first draft is at 25,000 words, and I’m halfway through my outline.  Which is good because I didn’t get a chance to beef up the second half of my outline.  So I’ll probably have enough that I won’t have to worry about not having something to write after 45,000 words. 


How about all of you?  How are you doing?  Got any goals you’re working towards?

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Krista. Well done you! It sounds like your determination is paying dividends. I'm writing more each day than I anticipated...there is only the story and the writing of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must be doing great too, if you're writing more than you anticipated! I completely agree, the story can feel very consuming right now.

      Delete
  2. Wow! That sounds so exciting! I wish I was doing NaNoWriMo too - but I'll get to it one day. In the meantime, I love hearing about everyone's progress! Keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It took me about three years before I finally decided to try, and I'm so glad that I did!

      Delete