Friday, November 1, 2013

You Don’t Have to be Alone

Writing is a hobby that can be very lonely.  To spend time writing words, putting them down on paper or typing them out on the computer is something that takes one person.  No one else can do it with you, unless you’re collaborating on a project.  Can you count the amount of time you spend alone, banging on the keys or scribbling furiously as the muse directs?

Neither can I.

I’ve been writing since I was in elementary school, and I wrote my first novel in high school.  As an introvert, it’s something that felt very natural to me.  I didn’t mind sitting apart from other people as I worked.  Even when I was around others, many times I wasn’t really there with them.  Some of my clearest high school memories were of sitting in a classroom, waiting for class to start and jotting down notes about dialogue as I listened to others talk to one another.  Or I’d completely ignore them as I worked through a plot problem that had been bothering me.

I did the same in college.  I think part of it was that school never seemed like a social event to me.  I was there to study, to learn.  Social interactions may or may not happen, but I rarely initiated them.  When I was in the final years of college, I usually had all my classes – sometimes up to six hours – in the same classroom.  I’d have 10-20 minutes of ‘breaks’ before a new section or class started.  And that’s when I would pull out my notebook and write.  I probably only really met two or three of my classmates, and only if I had to.

Writing was a solitary endeavor for me.  At least, until recently.  I began to branch out.  Very slowly, of course.  Interacting and initiating conversations was something I didn’t enjoy or really know how to do.  But as time went on, I joined writing groups, writing forums, met beta writers, and now, I’m participating in NaNoWriMo. 

I didn’t know that much about it.  I knew what it was about, but I hadn’t realized the community that it provided.  Last week, my region had a kickoff, the night where we met to make final plans, meet one another and cheer one another on.  I spent almost three hours there and I loved every minute of it.  That was the first time that I’d ever been in a group like that.  I’ve met other people, yes, but online.  These people were sitting right next to me.  And I was joining in on conversations about things I cared about.  Outlining versus pantsing, character development, Shakespeare, even a little Doctor Who.  There was one thing that connected all of us, and that was our love of writing.  There were people of all ages, all different places in life.  I was especially impressed with one girl who was still in junior high.  I wish I had taken my writing so seriously at her age.


We don’t have to be alone when we write.  Our characters don’t need to be our only companions.  There are so many who are willing to share the journey, to cheer us on.  We just have to be willing to take those first steps, reach out and say hello.  

4 comments:

  1. I haven't actually been to a nano meeting, although I've briefly "tried" to do it one year (as in said I was gonna, then got 5k words in, it made no sense and I had other things to do) so I feel the community aspect is something I missed out on. I'm very glad you had fun, keep on going with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that being part of a community always helps, whether it's a NaNo one or not. Just the ones we're on online help me because I feel like I'm not alone in all of this!

      Delete
  2. The sense of community is one of my favorite things about being a writer. It's like, no matter where you go, if you find another writer you know that instantly you'll have something to talk about...and chances are, they might even really listen to you and what you have to say. I have so many wonderful writer friends.

    You don't even have to do something as big as NaNoWriMo to find writer buddies either. There's Facebook groups, writing forums, endless critique groups. Yeah, when we're plunking down on the keyboards it might seem like we're by ourselves...but really, there's a whole world of friends out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I'm finding! I've found a lot of online groups that have been amazingly supportive, and I'm hoping to continue the friendships that I'm creating the month of November. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete