Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Get Out of Your Character's Way

I know it’s been awhile since I’ve written, I’m in the midst of processing a lot of stuff right now, but I’m trying to make lemonade out of lemons.  Or maybe lemon cake out of lemons.  That sounds good. 

Lemon Cake


Anyway, I’ve finally gotten back to writing as well as what I hope is normal life.

And I’m struggling to write my main character.  Not necessarily because she’s difficult to write.  It’s because every one of her instincts is the opposite of mine.  I have a hard time because our personalities clash so much that I question every motive she has.  Not on purpose, just because that’s the kind of person I am.

It’s a challenge to turn me off.  As a writer, I know that my characters and I won’t always get along.  In fact, I’ve had arguments with characters when I try to get in their way.  But I’ve never had to throw out all of my common sense and let the character take the rein. 


Has anyone else had this experience?  And how do I get out of her way?

1 comment:

  1. There is a lot of truth in what you write, Krista: characters do sometimes run off in their own direction. I suppose as long as they know that you, the author, are in charge, then perhaps the different directions chosen by wayward characters can, quite often, lead to something both unexpected and exciting.

    ReplyDelete