Monday, February 24, 2014

The People in My Head

Every once in a while, I talk to my family about my writing and I forget that some of my comments may be considered ‘strange’. 

Last week, I mentioned how I hadn’t planned on writing the sequel to my Red WIP until two of my minor characters told me that they had a story that they wanted me to tell.  I got a strange look and the question:

Do Your Characters Talk to You?

I forget that this isn’t something that most people deal with.  As a writer, I’m always accompanied by a crowd of characters that are always trying to get my attention.  With four novels written, and three more waiting their turn, there’s dozens of characters that I know like best friends.  And the only way that I can get to know them is to talk to them.  I have to find out their stories so that I can accurately portray them.

These characters are a large and essential part of my life.  Not to sound like I’m lonely, but because I spend such a large amount of time with them, they’re often on my mind.  Though I do hear them in my head, usually they’re not talking to me, but to one another.  I love watching the way that they interact and the way that they behave around each other.  There’s always something new to learn.


Those are the people in my head.  I don’t know what I would do without them.

1 comment:

  1. I hear ya Girl! My daughter often catches me laughing or smiling at nothing at all and it's usually because I imagine my characters in a particular scene. For example, the other day I was stuck in traffic for 2 hours on a ride that usually takes twenty minutes (Damn snow!) I started thinking about a character from a novel I'm still unraveling. I asked myself "What would 'J' say if she were stuck in this muck of traffic and meteors suddenly came shooting from the sky?" And of course J cursed right at me in a thick Spanish accent, in both English and Spanish (think Sofia Vergara) and I just couldn't help but smile.

    My daughter looked at me like I had two heads.

    ReplyDelete