Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Writing is Exciting

I live in a small town where there isn’t a whole lot of things to do. At least, that’s how it seems to me. I’ve lived in large cities most of my life, and I’m used to lots of museums, parks, malls… I like the indoor stuff.

Recently, at an orientation, we were asked to state our name, where we’re from and what we like to do. As we went down the line, there was a distinct pattern. They liked to hike, to go camping, or hunting, and the leader of the group always had advice. The best place to hike, a little known place to go camping, where the fish are always biting.

When it came to my turn, I told them that I like reading and writing. There was a long pause before the conversation turned to the next person. The leader of the group didn’t even respond.

What they don’t know is that I live a fairly exciting life. Maybe not because I’m as active than them, but because writing isn’t just the process of sitting down and putting words on a page. I get to research all sorts of stuff, and live in exciting worlds with my characters. I get to research about underground waterfalls, stone masonry, prosthetics, pirates, even the Mongolian language. I’ve traveled on sea ships, wagons, even on horseback to my different destinations. I’ve been a diplomat, a baker, a student, a warrior… there’s so many possibilities, and I get to wear all sorts of hats.

Writing is fun, and it’s never the same from day to day.


No comments:

Post a Comment