Wednesday, August 31, 2016

When Real Life Trumps Writing

Since last November, my writing partners and I have started writing together at Great Harvest. It’s a great environment, with fantastic music, and there’s a never-ending supply of yummy food. We get to write and chat, and we actually get productive, since our subconscious has adapted to writing there.

But two weeks ago, I got very little writing done. That’s because something even more exciting happened.

While I was writing, all of a sudden, I heard sirens. Actually, we all heard sirens. One woman ran to the windows of the storefront, and started screaming, “There’s rangers out there! They’ve got their rifles on the truck!” Many of the other customers ran to the storefront, but I stayed where I was. Call me a little crazy, but when I hear rifles, my first instinct isn’t to run into the line of sight. Fortunately, the slightly hysterical woman kept the commentary going.

Finally, I called my husband to let him know what was happening. His first question?

Did you get pictures?

I told him I hadn’t, and he told me that unless I had pictures, no one would believe me. So finally, I dared to go to the window and at that point, the ambulances had already arrived, and my view was mostly blocked. But I still took pictures.

Later, when I watched and read the news, there was a high speed car chase from the county north of us, and they ended up on our Main Street before the truck crashed by running into another car. They were suspected robbers from an armed bank robbery the week earlier. I was close enough that the Great Harvest I was in was within the blockade area for a few hours.

I didn’t get a lot of writing done, but I got a great story to tell! And I got a few pictures!





No comments:

Post a Comment