Monday, August 12, 2013

No Pain, No Gain

I am not an assertive person.  I can take almost anything without fighting back because I really want to avoid confrontation.

The only time that this is not true is when it’s about someone that I care about.  Someone can say something bad about me, but watch out if they say anything about my closest friends.  Boys who try to hurt my sisters better start running because I’m coming after them.  Though I’m not a mother, I have a feeling I’ll probably be overprotective with them as well.

I hate to see injustices.  To see others picked on when it’s not necessary.  It’s one of the reasons why I’m so terrible at sports.  I hate the fact that there has to be a loser.  During Junior High, we played soccer during lunch.  Whenever my team started winning, I switched to the other.  Why?  Because they needed help.  They were now the ones at a disadvantage.  There were some days that I would switch sides 8-9 times. 



So what does that have to do with writing?

Characters are like our babies.  We’ve created them, we’ve helped them become who they are.  Those are the kinds of people that I would do anything to protect.

But in protecting my characters, I end up hurting the story. 

No one wants to read about someone whose life is absolutely perfect.  We as readers want to see the characters suffer and rise above their struggles.  If they don’t have to overcome anything, then why should we care? 

That’s why we have to make our characters cry.  Not just small tears, but giant floods until they suffer from dehydration.  If the character goes too long before the next set of trials, we’re actually doing them a disservice.  We need to learn from our mistakes.  And to do that, we have to make mistakes.  We have to get out there, get our hands dirty and get our hearts broken. 

Really, that should be the way we live our lives as well.  Staying where it’s safe won’t hurt, but it won’t help us grow.  If I were to go back and focus on the moments where I grew as a human, where I became the person I am now, it would be in the moments of trials.  Those moments where I wasn’t sure if I could stand any more are what define me.  Not because of the trials that I experienced, but how I responded to them.

And that’s what our characters need.  We can’t protect them from everything.  They need the chance to get back up.  They need that opportunity to prove themselves, not just to themselves, but to us as readers. 


So although I may not enjoy causing pain, I get satisfaction out of knowing that I’m doing the right thing for my characters, and for my story.

5 comments:

  1. It's so true. It's hard to inflict pain on your characters sometimes. You just love them and want them to be safe and happy. Which is the exact way I feel about my real-life babies. It's doubly true that they have to go through really hard times for them to grow, benefit, and be better people. That's what readers want. I am going back through my first draft right now and making notes of where she just has it too easy or it's not hard enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea! I haven't thought of going through and specifically making sure that I'm not too easy on my characters. I'll have to do that too!

      Delete
  2. Super article . . . and adds to my blog August 1st at Dishin' it Out...Make your characters life hard. Love this blog... and your'e right ... how boring would it be if everyone's life was without without hurt, sadness, or challenges. Perfect is boring. Thanks for commenting on my blog... and I love finding yours. Best to you. Rita Karnopp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed your comments. And it's nice to have a list of things to look at when trying to make your characters' lives miserable. I'm so glad that I found your blog!

      Delete
  3. So true. Just like over sheltering children you do your character a disservice if you don't let them fight their own battled. Well said.

    ReplyDelete