Friday, August 9, 2013

Sequels

Recently, I’ve had 2 betas going through two different WIP’s.  One is starting on the white one and the other just finished the Red one. 

As my beta finished my Red WIP, he made an interesting comment.  He said that the way that I set up the ending made it perfect to follow up with a sequel. 

I’ve never been fond of sequels, especially in my own writing.  I always thought that if their story is over, then why would you come back later to invade on their privacy again?  I like to think that once my story is over and my characters get a satisfying ending, I don’t want to imagine that they have any more conflict.  Yet, that’s not true in real life.  Even when we get everything we want, a degree, a house, marriage, etc, then we always think that everything is going to be perfect.

But once I finished the Red WIP, I still felt like there was more of the story to tell.  Not for my Main Characters, but for some of the minor ones who hadn't gotten enough time in the sun.  And perhaps that’s why the story ended like it did.  A part of me knew that something more would happen.  In fact, when I finished the story, I had to add an epilogue, just because it didn't feel finished yet.  That's when I understood.

Now, I’m more willing to give sequels a second chance, because I understand why an author might be inclined to write one.  And there have been several sequels that I’ve read that ended up improving the story.


I know this post is a little short, but it's because I want to hear your thoughts.  Do characters deserve their privacy after the story’s told?  Do sequels give them a second chance?  How do you feel about sequels? 

4 comments:

  1. I don't think that characters "deserve" privacy no. They're your creation and if people have fallen in love with them then there's nothing wrong in continuing on.

    I suppose the question is whether you think you've got a good enough continuation for them. If it's contrived then stopping may be a good idea. Otherwise I say go for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bring up a good point. I think there are moments when I forget that my characters are just characters: people that I've created. There are those moments when I start thinking that they're real people.

      Delete
  2. Interesting thoughts. I didn't have much option - the original version of my fantasy novel was fairly short. But as time went on it grew and grew and grew until I realised that it was not just one book any more. So one book became two. But there's a time gap (so choosing where to split was easy). For a long time I was convinced the story ended there but recently I've had inklings about what happens next. So, #3 may well start to take shape soon. My book 1 beta readers are all keen on the idea of book 2 - some are already reading it, so I suspect sequels are generally popular. Personally, I like them. If I find a character I warm to then I'll happily spend as much time as possible in their company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your insight! I've definitely learned that there is an advantage to sequels, especially where we're already invested in the characters and the world. And it's like catching up with an old friend when the next book rolls out.

      Delete