Wednesday, August 28, 2013

The Writing Ritual - Guest Post by Taylor Lavati

Today, we are privileged to hear the thoughts from Taylor Lavati, author of The Thousand Year Curse.  Be sure to check her book out, as well as her blog: http://thecursebooks.blogspot.com

Read on!

To make your writing the best it can be, you have to get into the writing zone. Well, how do we do this? What even is the writing zone? 

The writing zone is the mentality when you produce the best writing you possibly can. The writing zone is when your brain is focusing one hundred percent on the task at hand. If you’re anything like me, you know that it’s hard to block out the rest of the world and focus on only one thing. 

BUT YOU HAVE TO!

As I was coming near the end of my current project, my brain started to wander to other things, like how will I market it, what should the cover look like, what should the title be, how will audiences react... etc. 

This is not a good thing, especially when you’re supposed to be writing your book! So how do you get your brain to shut up and focus? Simple. 

Environment is everything! For me, I hate working in a cluttered room and on a cluttered surface. Your desk should be the most sacred place in your house. Make it creative and inspiring and where you can feel comfortable. 

Know where your writing is going! To get a good novel going, you have to know where the book is leading. For example, create an outline where you know the beginning, middle and end. The reason I say this is because a lot of times writers start writing hoping it will go somewhere but this is actually counterproductive. You’ll be deleting so much and it’s much better to know where the story is going. 

Find the ritual that makes you calm! My ritual for writing is, I have to eat first. I prefer writing in the morning versus at night. I just end up writing better in the morning. I also like to have a cup of coffee and tea to keep me energized. BUT not too much because then I’ll have to take a bathroom break and that sucks since it breaks up my thoughts.

Sooo... Moral of the story? Find what makes you focus and keeps your mind calm. To get into your writing zone, you need to find a ritual that works for you. Whether it’s wearing your special undies, or writing outside, your ritual is special to you and only you will know what works. Find that ritual because one you do, you’ll be writing better than ever!

Who am I?
Taylor is a twenty-two year old student in her small town in Connecticut. Studying early childhood education, Taylor wants to be a kindergarten teacher but has always had a soft spot for English. The Curse Books were Taylor's first writing venture that spiraling into hopes of a career in writing. The Thousand Year Curse is now available on amazon. She focuses on running her blog, writing new books and enjoying time with her dog, Beau and boyfriend, Chris. 

Be sure to check out my post on her blog about writer's block: http://thecursebooks.blogspot.com/2013/08/wednesday-writing-advice.html

3 comments:

  1. I agree about knowing where the story is going! I always have this problem - I think of a vague idea and I just start... what happens is, I get halfway through and I'm lost, I have no idea where I'm going. Although I hate outlining, I have to know where the story is going! Something that does happen to me is, I get distracted by the internet. Do you use pen and paper to write? It just always seems much easier to check different websites than to actually focus, but when I do put effort into it, I'm usually proud of what comes out of it!

    www.alicekouzmenkowriting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do a lot of planning for this reason exactly. My first book which I never even published, I wrote until it was over. It was all over the place. So now I write (paper and pen) outlines, character bios, places and all that junk. I write with a pen some stuff but for my first draft usually it's all on the computer. Second draft, I print it out and write on the manuscript. I do have to say though, I turn my phone and email off so I'm not distracted. You have to be in the mindset to write and only write.

      Delete
    2. I completely agree with Taylor. I was in a similar situation, where I had so many ideas, but after 50-60 pages, I'd get stuck, unsure where to go. I really thought I wasn't an outliner, but in final desperation, I tried it, and it made the biggest difference! Now I have to outline, whether it be doodles on paper, typed out, note cards, sticky notes, etc. I also try and figure out who my characters are and what they need so that when I'm writing them in a situation, I know how they'd react.

      And turn off the internet! Taylor is absolutely right, you need the right environment. For awhile, I had to leave my house, just because I knew there were so many distractions. I hand wrote my latest WIP for that very reason.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete