Monday, August 19, 2013

Writer's Rant

Recently, I’ve been noticing a trend that has really started to drive me crazy.  I don’t like to talk about controversial subjects, but this one has gotten to the point that I can’t keep my mouth shut.

I’ve been reading/watch a lot of hate toward Twilight.  Well, no, let me correct that, I've been reading a lot of hate toward Stephanie Meyer.   I wouldn’t call myself a fan of her works, but I have read all four books, and I found them an enjoyable escape. 

For some reason, I’ve seen authors, artists, writers take her writing and tear it down, criticizing the story, the writing, the characters, and even the author herself.  Sure, we all have different opinions, and we’re entitled to them, but I don’t understand why we as artists take it upon ourselves to tell others when their art isn’t up to par? 

If we were to compare writing to art, look at all the different forms that exist?  If Monet were to ‘critique’ Picasso’s work, would he approve of it?  Even if he were to say that it was trash, unbelievable, the work of a three-year-old, that’s not to say that there aren’t people who prefer Picasso over Monet.  Picasso is one of my favorite artists, but I also like Van Gogh, but one of my sister hates both of them.  (Something I learned after taking her to the Prada for a special Van Gogh exhibit and the Reina Sofia to see Guernica.)  

Is she entitled to her opinion?  

Of course. 

Am I entitled to mine?  

Yes.

But we don’t fight over who’s right, over which artist trumps over the others. 

So why do we do that as writers?

Just as every artist is entitled their own style, and subject, writers do as well.  If an adult horror writer were to read a MG fantasy, wouldn’t there be some aspects that he doesn’t approve of?

And yes, I know that many people state that Meyer’s writing in and of itself isn’t refined, or she uses too many adverbs, etc.  But my question is, will the reader notice that?  Who is it to say what works and does not work for a novel?  Is it our responsibilities as writers to criticize all other authors?

Meyer has done something that most writers would probably love.  She’s created a world, a story and characters so vivid that they created a small band of fanatics.  And ultimately, isn’t that the whole point of writing?  Even if a person writes something that’s considered some of the best writing by the greatest literary critics but has no audience, then does the author truly accomplish their goals?

I've also heard that they don't approve of her stories.  Are writers expected to give positive, uplifting, completely nondestructive relationships?  If so, I have to say that there are many writers who would fit into the same 'condemnation.'

Beyond that, shouldn’t we also cheer each other on?  We’re all working toward the same thing, and when someone makes it, we should be happy for them, not tear them apart.   In nursing, it’s said that nurses eat their young.  Is that true in the writing world as well?  Do writers feel threatened by upcoming new writers when they hit it big almost immediately?  Or is it that they don't think that the new author has anything to contribute until they have experience?  And what are people looking at when they say "bad writing?"  Is it the syntax?  The characterization?  The plot?

I honestly have no answers.  Do you?  Someone please explain this to me! 

11 comments:

  1. I agree. Don't tear down the writer. I've seen a lot of scathing reviews of works by folks who don't even take the time to read the work they are reviewing, and admit it to be so. Maybe it is bad to them, but write a constructive analysis of what didn't work in the book for you rather than just tear down the author, or sabotage them. A slightly different take, but same principal I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you. It's so annoying that people take work someone spent a long time on and then attack the writer for writing it.

    The Twilight nonsense is especially bad, because it was a mega huge seller. And people used to fangirl about it like crazy. Only later did it become fashionable for people to find fault with it.

    Yes, there definitely are some major faults in the story, but people enjoyed it. I have similar issues with Jeffrey Deaver's works, but I don't try to be cute about it and build my ego on his work. Fact is, he wrote something that a lot of people like, and even though I no longer like his style, he still deserves a modicum of respect for having had the guts to write and publish in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Anyone who publishes or puts their own art up deserves some kind of respect. Especially from a community who knows how difficult it can be to do that. Thanks for your thoughts!

      Delete
  3. I think a lot of the criticism for Stephanie Meyer isn't so much because of the books as the movies. My sister really likes the Twilight books, and so she 'forced' me to read the first one. To be completely honest, I had a hard time putting it down. I'm not much of a romance reader, and I really enjoyed the second half of the book much more than the first (because that's where the action picked up), but really, it was an intriguing reinvention of the vampire legend. However, the acting in the movie is painful to watch. I think because the movies were so much fun to make fun of, it kind of leaked to the books. However, there is still enough of a cult population that is in love with Twilight that I don't think she's really suffering from the criticism. The movies performed quite well too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For full disclosure, I haven't read the Twilight books. But I think a lot of the haterade for Meyer comes from a couple of places. First, she's popular and successful. Anything that hits that big in the mainstream is going to have detractors, many of them vocal and a lot of them coming from fellow creatives. Talk to some musicians toiling in obscurity about the latest pop singers for an example of this phenomenon. It has something to do with resentment from the enlightened undiscovered over popular imperfection.

    The other source of this vitriol I think comes from genre fans who resent the (ahem) de-fanging of the mythic vampire form. Many of the tropes Meyer subverted (forced nocturnal activity/sunlight allergy, vampires as soulless evil) were sacred cows in the genre. For them to be discarded in the same work that re-popularized the myths was viewed by some as a regrettable betrayal.

    But I agree. Begrudging others their success is almost always sour grapes. It's fair to criticize or judge the work itself, but moving onto personal attack is a waste of time and energy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I personally am not a fan of Twilight in general, the storyline, the books or the movies, but I think that the reason that writers might tear something apart is because you, having learnt so much about the craft, see what's wrong. For example, if analysing a page of the book, you will notice a number of mistakes which could be called "bad writing", as some people put it. I think that there is a thin line between critique and being rude and disrespectful, and I would say that people cross it, but I think that writers tend to notice things that the average reader wouldn't, and they prefer to voice their opinions out loud. Just a thought!

    www.alicekouzmenkowriting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I agree, her writing style may be completely different than what most writers are looking for. But I feel that most of the criticism is an attack on her, rather than her writing. And even then, who says that there's a right and wrong? I feel like the rules change almost constantly.

      Delete
  6. I dislike Twilight, and I make no bones about that. I think that they are poorly written, and I think that because I literally could NOT read them. And I LOVE Xanth novels, so it's not like I'm a literary snob. (I won't get into characterization and all that. To each their own.)
    However, I prescribe to the Cleolinda Jones theory. Twilight is like a twinkie. It's puffy and tastes good. You shouldn't try to live on only twinkies though. And you shouldn't confuse Twinkies with fine dining. People who like the books don't bother me, and I hold no grudge against Meyers. Good for her for making it when so many authors don't.
    I do like to use Twilight as counter argument for people who insist that traditional publishing is the only way to know that writers and books are "good." They maintain that the gatekeepers of quality only let the worthy through, and that self published works are nothing but crap because the gatekeepers didn't choose them. And the people who maintain that statement usually do trash Twilight as being the worst thing to happen to literature ever. Again discounting the characterization I disagree with, the prose is weak and the books themselves full of grammatical errors that "professional" editors are supposed to fix. In other words, the very things that these people claim is wrong with self published books.
    So if you see me trashing Twilight, it's usually to make the point that publishers don't choose quality writing. They choose what they can sell. And just because Twilight sold well, doesn't make it good writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bring up some good points. And I completely agree, there's both better and not so good in both traditional and self-publishing.

      Delete
  7. I completely agree with you. Stephenie Meyer and the Twilight books have become a way for people to feel like literary critics without having to read the books or come up with anything meaningful to add to the discussion. The horse is dead, everyone.

    It's one thing to give detailed feedback about particular elements of her writing style or story structure that don't work for a particular reader... any author should be expecting to get that kind of critique. But I've seen an awful lot of "bashing" that rips on her weight, her religion, her earnings, her voice, the decisions she made in optioning her books to film companies, and even criticisms of what she has personally chosen to do with the money that she, and she alone, earned from her books. No one deserves that.

    So, for me, detailed, thought-provoking critique of a work - good. Bashing an author's personality and personal life - off-limits, and uncalled for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Precisely. Trashing the author personally is stepping over a line that should never be crossed.

      Delete